Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How can I diagnose if my scar is a keloid or a normal scar?

I had a small surgery on my chest to remove a small bulk on my skin. My doctor told me that the chest area is prone to keloid scars and since I haven't had any vaccination she couldn't say if I m prone to keloids or not.


It has been around 15 days since my stiches were removed and I m concerned if my scar will turn into a keloid. I need to know the normal way of a scar healing process.


Now my scar is red, a bit elevated from the rest area, and a bit itchy, that is way I am so stressed as these symtoms suggest keloids! It is not hard but not totally soft either.


I am using a creme that cell-renewing creme on the scar to help it heal.


Both my parents have had surgeries and they don't have keloid scars.


I am going to see my doctor soon but until then can anyone tell me if it is normal for a scar to be a red, itchy and a bit elevated and still not be keloid...?????help!!!!

How can I diagnose if my scar is a keloid or a normal scar?
it sounds just like a perfectly normal scar so i hope you stop worrying!
Reply:Relax. It's very normal and natural for a scar to be red, itchy and a bit elevated during the healing process. The reason for this is because the tissue around it is starting to get blood flow to it and the nerves are being stimulated. If your parents don't have keloids, you most likely won't develop one. Don't pick at the scab, the more you pick, the longer it will take to heal, and sometimes if you pick too early, you'll open the wound up again, so it will have to scab over again and possibly give you a bigger scar.


No comments:

Post a Comment