Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What's the best way to treat a small keloid?

I have a small keloid on my chest and it really bothers me! So far I've been covering it with makeup, but the bump is still visible. I am afraid surgery will make it worse. I've heard Mederma and silicone gel sheets work best since it's not invasive. What about laser or radiation? All the dermatologists that I have seen don't seem to care enough to help me get rid of the keloid. =(

What's the best way to treat a small keloid?
The trouble with keloids is that it's your own skin that has overhealed, and it's a genetic trait. Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do with them, and no promise that messing with it would make things better. In fact, it can make things worse. Everytime you are cut, you risk forming a keloid, if you have the tendency. There is no way to predict how badly it will form either. Mederma works best on new scars in healing, although it can smooth an old scar and make it look less red. It takes months of daily applications to see the best results, and unfortunately it also doesn't do well with keloids that are already old. The best person to see would be a plastic surgeon, to see what they could suggest be done. But be prepared to hear the bad news, because there's no real place on the chest to hide the incision or to resect the scar unless it's close to the curve of your breast. I'm sorry, but keloids are just one of those things you can't make go away entirely.
Reply:cause they can come back worse if you try and do a procedure on them..some will inject with steroid..try and find a derm who specializes in them..

oxalis

No comments:

Post a Comment